Friday 11 May 2018

FIA WEC: Positive first test for Jenson Button with SMP Racing


Jenson Button has completed his first test with SMP Racing and the BR1 at Magny Cours in preparation for his debut in the FIA World Endurance Championship and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

© SMP Racing


The British driver's first impressions after his first stints, totalling five hours, at the wheel of the BR Engineering prototype are very positive.  “I must say that the BR1 is very impressive,” said Jenson Button. “I did not expect to find so much grip in this car. Its traction and downforce is excellent in slow turns in very impressive in high speed corners, despite being a big car. I absolutely loved it, nice for my first test to be around Magny Cours as it’s one of my favourite circuits and I have a lot of great memories from racing there. It felt very much like old skool F1 from when we raced there back in ‘05/‘06".

Button did a solid five hours of testing and felt already comfortable behind the wheel of the beast! "We still have some areas where improvement is needed but it's a good starting point.  We are preparing for Le Mans, on a track where a fast car is needed. I am very satisfied with the hours of testing today, and my progress at the wheel of the machine. The first day with SMP Racing and the BR1 was very positive. I am very happy! There is a lot to think about and give to the team before the tests in June. “ On his Instagram account Button said he was "smiling from ear to ear".


SMP Racing has entered two AER porwered BR1 prototypes in the FIA ​​World Endurance Championship, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The # 17 is currently being rebuilt after the car, in the hands of Matevos Isaakyan, took off at Raidillon exiting Eau Rouge at Spa last weekend.